PCAmerica review

Comment here if your interests are with Cash Register Express
Forum rules
Absolutely no offensive remarks/comments. Backup your comments with facts. No obscene language. We reserve the right to remove any post deemed offensive in our view (not yours). To keep spam messages to a minimum, you must respond the e-mail link sent to you upon registration. Check your spam box in the event our message ended up there.
Note: Numbers are not allowed in a username

PCAmerica review

Postby George » Fri May 29, 2015 9:58 am

Hello all. I recently started to look into PCAmerica's CRE to replace our outdated register system. We are a small convenient store in the mid-West. We also offer beer for take-out.

I looked over the reviews on merchantmaverick.com and was not impressed with what I read. There seems to be a lot of complaints with customer service, which would be very important to us because we are not computer literate.

This forum seems to be a little different as it attempts to resolve issues, rather than providing a review and list complaints. What is the general opinion about this CRE product? How serious are the problems and has it ever caused a complete blackout of your register system?

Thanks for allowing me to post here.
George

Re: PCAmerica review

Postby kurtwm » Sun May 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Hello George,

reading reviews about a product you consider purchasing is a good idea, but nothing is better than downloading an evaluation copy of the software and actually configuring it the way you would use it in your store. There are many companies that offer free trials, including PCAmerica. I don't think there is a product out there that will 100% satisfy you. There is either this or that missing or different because you are used to ringing up a sale with your current system.

PCAmerica sure has its problems, but keep in mind that there are over 50K users using CRE or RPE, which makes the few complaints you read here or there a very small percentage.

I suggest you make up a list of functions and features that are an absolute must for you and a list of "nice to have" things. Download various demo copies and compare your list with each product. I know it is time consuming, but in the end you will thank yourself.

We have never experienced a blackout due to their software. We had some unexpected reboots and things, but that was our fault.

By the way, merchantmaverick.com has a self-interest as they also offer POS software and service. Their product description and review is extremely conflicting....my opinion.

Good luck.
kurtwm
Site Admin

Postby George » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Thanks for the info. I have a list of features we want, but it is pretty confusing looking at all those products out there. Another problem is the hardware. It looks like it is best to purchase a turn-key system that includes the hardware and software. Some companies provide a basic database with already thousands of items. I like this idea because it saves us a lot of time upfront, but I am apprehensive when we are ready to turn the old system off and new system on. Anything special that needs to be considered?
George

Postby kurtwm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes, you are right. A pre-loaded database of products can be very helpful. Do keep in mind that very likely you will have to make modifications regardless. Prices, distributors and products on hand will need to be updated before you can use it. I have no idea what sort of system you are using now, but maybe there is a way to export the contents of your current system and imported into the new one. Remember, you may have to pay a fee to have this done, unless you can do it yourself.

There is really nothing special to consider, other than all your hardware and software is compatible, the thing does what you want it to do and you are comfortable with the costs.

Maybe not advisable, I purchased all the hardware directly from China, every little bit of it. Then I hooked up the whole thing in my basement and spend a couple of weeks configuring everything. It's a lot of work, but for me it saved me a good $3000.......and for the people that crinch when hearing of hardware made in China....guess where most of the parts inside your computer are made at? In a China or Korean factory.
kurtwm
Site Admin

Return to CRE Forum