Gift Card Error

Comment here if your interests are with Cash Register Express
Forum rules
Absolutely no offensive remarks/comments. Backup your comments with facts. No obscene language. We reserve the right to remove any post deemed offensive in our view (not yours). To keep spam messages to a minimum, you must respond the e-mail link sent to you upon registration. Check your spam box in the event our message ended up there.
Note: Numbers are not allowed in a username

Gift Card Error

Postby mikechin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi,

I am trying to sell a gift card using CRE and received the following error after entering the gift card number and amount.

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace: at pcAmerica.Desktop.POS.CRE2.Pole_Display_ShowLineItem(Invoice currInvoice, LineItem ItemToDisplay)

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please share it.

Thanks,
Mike.
mikechin

Re: Gift Card Error

Postby kurtwm » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Welcome Mike,

your post needs more information. Have you setup gift cards in the setup screen? Make sure you have it set to "manual". Is everything else working? Have you read the configuration instructions for it? They are here(copy and paste the link below):

https://c528a1c3-a-82a64781-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/pcamerica.com/support/file-lockers/pdf-locker/Manual_GC_Setup.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cowSD-esAVBrpQak1KbG-NS-qQjShpPwx2f4sF3_OM8JkmKjfHlr4d97uIgC5flayvlc40pMDB3jA08VqTpgq2dp6p8Wt8FjXbypqouwnD7k70tKpCJaWcEJG61LnYstHE3TnWmZU5DQxeVgiCuL8raQlzBdPRO5TknaL_IhCEI8sQ3tb4BRyYj75W5x6BpwqimpYiojyuo7-eQNoXlZzKi-h5lUlq-cjfMJcJD-XNNoJzv0XVtHLtexdFe7QtVX7JDTtxm&attredirects=0
kurtwm
Site Admin

Postby mikechin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:32 pm

Yes, it is set to 'Manual'. Everything else is working fine. I enter the gift card Id, then the amount and when I click OK I see that error.

Thanks,
Mike.
mikechin

Postby kurtwm » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:18 pm

I am not a DB guy so I am only guessing. Reading the error message it seems that there is a problem retrieving the description that is to be displayed on the pole/customer display, i.e. "gift card", but why I do not know. I will ask around.

One more question. You do have setup an inventory item for gift cards, right? Mine looks like this:

gc-2.jpg
kurtwm
Site Admin

Postby mikechin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi Kurtwm,

Thanks for your prompt responses. I did not create 'GIFT_C' inventory item. I thought it is something that comes with software. Let me know if I have to create one. If so, is there any difference in properties of this item compared to the regular inventory items?

Mike.
mikechin

Postby kurtwm » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:07 am

There should be nothing special to add this as an inventory item. Mine is under a department named "NONE", which shows up on as button on the menu. The inventory/#stock we left at zero and it will decrement by one each time a card is sold. So, you have a negative number but it does not matter because you know it is actually a positive number of the cards you sold. Taxes are left at zero because sales taxes are charged at the time the gift card is redeemed.

Look at the photo above and set yours up the same. We do not sell gift cards through CRE but ours works if we wanted to. Hope it will work for you.
kurtwm
Site Admin

Postby mikechin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:21 am

Hi Kurtwm,

I added 'GIFT_C' item and it worked. Thanks a lot for creating this forum and helping people like me :D

Mike.
mikechin

Postby kurtwm » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:38 am

Glad you got this thing working. happy gift card selling!
kurtwm
Site Admin

Return to CRE Forum