Why does pcAmerica have such a bad name?

Comment here if your interests are with Cash Register Express
Forum rules
Absolutely no offensive remarks/comments. Backup your comments with facts. No obscene language. We reserve the right to remove any post deemed offensive in our view (not yours). To keep spam messages to a minimum, you must respond the e-mail link sent to you upon registration. Check your spam box in the event our message ended up there.
Note: Numbers are not allowed in a username

Why does pcAmerica have such a bad name?

Postby HarryCT » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

We are looking to replace our current register system. We have been looking at several products, including CRE from pcAmerica. We are a little confused because it appears that CRE gives us what we want, but then read tons of reviews on Merchant Maverick with warning to stay away from it, but with little supportive information other than...it does not work...lousy customer support....you need to upgrade and things like that. What is the real story with CRE?
HarryCT

Re: Why does pcAmerica have such a bad name?

Postby kurtwm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:25 pm

Up front, I do not have a dog in this fight or any financial interest in pcAmerica and CRE or any other POS software or hardware.

In my opinion CRE works as advertised for us. That's not to say that one may have problems during the installation process because, despite popular believes, software platforms are not identical for everyone. I can purchase a PC today and another PC a week later from the same company and the software that comes with it might not be the same or differently loaded.

The most serious problem one can do is purchase something that you have not tested yourself. A POS system has tons of various functions and features. Why one would not want to test each is something I cannot understand. Your store operations depend on it and you want to fully understand how the system works from the very first hour you make it operational. Download a fully functional demo version and enter your own data and then go for it. User your laptop or PC. Make a list of all the "must have" functions and make sure the software does what you want it to do. CRE does the functions it advertises, but does it do them the way you want it to, are some buttons awkward to get to, are some functions blocked out, are the important reports formatted the way you want to......and more? Your printers, scanners and other peripherals need to be configured and setup. Don't wait until you need the functions in your store but practice them on a PC or laptop.

CRE has been sold to over 50K customers. Keep in mind that hardly anyone satisfied with the software goes out and leaves positive comments on website that is designed to primarily accept negative ones. When is the last time you purchased software for your PC and you went back to the seller’s website and left a positive comment....?

I have read negative comments on several websites and most, in my opinion, are not valid. Users expect too much or expect functions that are not advertised. Comments such as " the software sucks.." are not very informative and it would not surprise me at all if some are not made by competitors. What makes some websites worse is that their facilitator encourages negative comments, suppresses positive ones and links to websites that could be of help.

As far as upgrades are concerned, here is my opinion. If it works for you do not touch it, very simple. Unless there are new functions or corrected problems that you absolutely have to have; then go for it, but practice the upgrade on a laptop first. I also recommend not using your POS system to "play around" on the Internet. It's like inviting problems. Our registers and servers are connected using Ethernet cables and a switch/router. Extremely reliable and much faster than wireless or internet.

I can't really comment on their customer service. My experience has been good and helpful, but I only contacted them a couple of times during my testing with the software. Our software has been up and running for over a year. We know the limitations and capabilities of CRE and are satisfied.
kurtwm
Site Admin

Re: Why does pcAmerica have such a bad name?

Postby HarryCT » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks Kurt, very informative. I already figured that some of the complaints are not really valid, but a lack of understanding or not understanding what CRE offers and how to use it.

I have downloaded a demo version and I am in the process of testing it out. So far, it was easy to install and use the data that was supplied with the demo. Next, I will connect a scanner and printer to look at the various report functions.
HarryCT

Return to CRE Forum